Build An Energy Toolkit [+ Space Clearing Ritual]
There are many different tools you can use when working with energy. Whether you're cleansing your personal energy, the energy of your house, or the energy of your crystals, the options are endless. My go-to tool for cleansing is palo santo and selenite, but there are other methods like sage, frankincense, sea salt, and sound.
By using one or a combination of tools outlined in this post, you'll add additional layers of effectiveness to your energy healing and protection.
Palo Santo is by far my favorite energy cleansing tool. Palo Santo means "holy wood" in Spanish and comes from the Palo Santo trees of South America. The smoke is believed to provide medicinal and therapeutic healing energy. The calming aroma is beautifully fragrant and not overpowering. Palo Santo is said to bestow extraordinary blessings to those that use and respect it.
how to use palo santo:
1. Light your Palo Santo stick.
2. Let the stick catch fire, and allow it to burn for about 30 seconds. Then gently blow it out. If needed, you can blow on the embers to keep the smoke going throughout your cleansing process.
3. Say aloud or silently, "I ask that the plant spirit of Palo Santo bring blessings into this space."
4. To bless yourself, the space, or crystals, simply allow the smoke and beautiful smell of palo santo to fill the room. To fill your space with blessings, start at the front door and walk clockwise through it with your palo santo.
5. When finished, place the palo santo stick in a fireproof container. The glow at the end of the stick will eventually go out on its own.
Sage is a sacred plant that has been used since ancient times. It's known as a purifier. Burning it before each ritual helps to drive out negative energy and restore balance to a particular space.
How can smudging with sage remove unwanted energy?
"Smudging" with sage is an ancient practice from Native Americans and other indigenous cultures. It's a purifying "smoke bath" that can be used to cleanse a person, place, object, or space of negative energies or influences. When the smoke begins to melt away, it takes the unwanted energy with it. This can be lower vibrational energy, negative thoughts, or even words.
Sage is unnecessarily mass produced and has become difficult for native and indigenous communities to acquire, so this would be a great herb to grow yourself or source ethically. I use palo santo more regularly and keep one sage stick for about a year.
how to use sage:
1. Ask the plant-medicine spirit of the sage to be there with you, and ask that it assist in purifying and cleansing you, your space, and your crystals. Hold the sage above the abalone shell as you light it. Let the sage stick catch fire, and allow it to burn for about 30 seconds. Then blow it out.
2. As the smoke wafts from the stick or leaves, first sage yourself using the feather to direct the smoke toward your body. We suggest starting at the top of your head and working downward toward your feet.
3. Sage your space. Open your front door and all the windows in the house to allow the unwanted energy to be released. Starting at the front door, sage around the outside of the door and frame. Now walk back inside, and begin saging the space by moving clockwise through it. Using the feather, waft the smoke into the corners of every room and up to the ceiling. Say these words out loud or silently: "I ask that the plant spirit of the sage please remove and release any negative energy from this space."
4. Finally, to clear away any unwanted energy from any hands that have touched your crystals before you, immerse them in the sacred smoke of the sage.
5. When you're finished, extinguish the sage stick by snuffing it out inside of the shell or another fireproof container.
Also known as liquid gold or Boswellia serrata, this resin is extracted from the Boswellia tree that is found in North Africa, India, and southern Arabia. Frankincense helps with removing negative energy from a space, providing protection and creating an elevated spiritual awareness. It can be used to lift the mood, ease anxiety and stress, and purify.
Since Frankincense is a resin, it's best used when placed on top of burning charcoal.
how to use frankincense:
1. Use a fireproof container. This process generates a lot of heat, so if what you're using isn't heavy enough, the heat generated from the charcoal could leave a burned spot.
2. Place the charcoal in your container, and light the top and bottom of the bricks. Wait a few minutes for the charcoal to heat up.
3. Add the Frankincense to the top, and allow the smoke to billow.
4. Say aloud or silently, "I ask that the plant spirit of Frankincense please purify and uplift the energy of the space."
5. To cleanse yourself or your crystals, simply allow the smoke and rich smell of the Frank incense to permeate anywhere you wish to clear the energy. To clear the energy of your space, start at the front door and walk clock wise through it with your container.
6. Allow the Frankincense and charcoal to finish burning and smoking. After the smoke evaporates, if the charcoal is still hot, feel free to add more Frankincense to it. Note that the charcoal and the container will remain hot for quite some time even after the smoke has stopped, so be careful when handling them.
Since ancient times, salt has been used to pre serve and flavor foods, but did you know that it also absorbs negative energy? It's the perfect tool to cleanse and purify your environment. It is also a strong energy tool to repel unwanted spirits.
how to use sea salt:
- Pour one part water to one part sea salt into four small containers.
- Place the containers in the four corners of any room. Leave them there for at least 24 hours. The combination of water and sea salt will absorb any negativity and unwanted energy.
- After 24 hours, pour the contents into the toilet and flush away all the absorbed energy.
- Repeat this as needed to keep the energy of your space clean and clear.
A powerful way to clear and purify space is through sound. You can use your hands by clapping, playing a singing blow, or shaking your keys. By making noise, you wake up any stale energy that may be lingering in the corners. Which ever sound you decide to use, make sure you do it three times in each corner. Start at your front door and then move around each room in your house in a clockwise direction. This will wake up any stagnant energy and get it flowing again. For a quick and easy energy cleanse, play an om mantra or Beethoven's Fifth Symphony in the rooms that need to be "freshened up" a bit.
The pure, high vibrational energy of Selenite is like liquid light. It has the ability to cleanse, purify, and align you with your highest potential. It shifts your aura and energetic vibration to attune you with a higher energy. Low vibrational energies attract negativity on the same level. Raising your vibration is essential to keeping feelings of grief, fear, anger, and anxiety out of your mental and physical space. Selenite also evokes protection from the angelic realm, helping to dispel all negative energy from the body and mind, as well as bringing deep peace and mental clarity. Selenite crystals will magnify the energy of anything that is placed upon them. Combine them with other crystals to amplify the desired intention.
quick cleansing ritual
- Sage stick or palo santo
- Matches or lighter
- Feather (optional)
- Ceramic bowl or abalone shell
1. Before beginning the energy cleansing, spend a moment thinking of an intention for this practice - for example, 'I release all negativity from this space and welcome in new positive energy'.
2. Open any windows, light the sage smudge stick or palo santo wood, then blow out the flame, leaving only the smoke.
3. Cleanse the space or object:
- to cleanse a space: walk clockwise around the room and use your hand or a feather to direct the smoke, ensuring that you reach all the corners of the room. Focus on your intention as you move through the space.
- to cleanse an object: hold it in the smoke for a few seconds, while focusing on your intention.
4. Allow the ash to collect in the bowl and extinguish the smudge stick or palo santo wood safely after the ritual is complete.
extensive cleansing ritual
time frame: Up to one hour, depending on how large your space is
what you’ll need:
- one sage stick (to cleanse and purify space)
- a feather
- one abalone shell or fireproof container to catch ashes
- lighter or matches
- palo santo (to keep the energy grounded and clear while bringing blessings into your space)
- sound maker (bell, drum, chimes, sound bowl) (to break up any stagnant or stuck energy)
- small mason jars or bowls (enough to place in each room of your space)
- sea salt and himalayan salt (to absorb any unwanted energy)
- black tourmaline (to absorb negative and stagnant energy) (enough to place one crystal in each room of your space)
- selenite wands to place on the windowsills in each room of the house (for cleansing, clearing, protecting, and raising the vibration to a higher level in your environment)
- a tray large enough to hold items above
OPTIONAL: Play music during space clearing such as an am mantra, space clearing mantras, or your favorite uplifting music.
Do this space clearing ritual at a time during the day when you can open the windows.
1. Raise blinds, open your windows, and pull back curtains to allow fresh air and sunshine into the space.
2. Sweep and clean the front doorstep (or entrance into your home) to keep energy clean, positive, and uplifted.
3. Clean your stovetop. This represents health and your financial life.
4. Hold the Black Tourmaline crystals in your hands, close your eyes, and take 3 deep breaths. Aloud or in your head, say the following: “I ask that the highest vibration of love and light connect with my highest self to clear all unwanted energy and any previous programming. I command these crystals to hold the intention of absorbing, purifying, and clearing all unwanted energy in this environment. Thank you, thank you, thank you."
5. Hold the white Selenite wands in your hands, close your eyes, and take 3 deep breaths. Aloud or in your head, say the following: "I ask that the highest vibration of love and light connect with my highest self to clear all unwanted energy and any previous programming. command these crystals to hold the intention of light, pure love, and protection. Thank you, thank you, thank you."
6. Fill the glass Mason jars or bowls with one part water, one part sea salt, and one piece of Black Tourmaline.
7. Place your jars, selenite crystals, sage, feather, abalone shell, lighter, Palo Santo, and sound maker on the tray.
8. Set your tray down, and grab your sage, feather, abalone shell, and lighter.
9. Starting at the front door, light the sage and say this smudge prayer by Bobby Lake-Thom (a.k.a. Medicine Grizzly Bear), author of Native Healer: Initiation into an Ancient Art and Call of the Great Spirit: The Shamanic Life and Teachings of Medicine Grizzly Bear.
"Great Creator, the four Powers of the Universe, and all my Relations and Good Spirits in Nature. I come before you in a humble manner and ask for your help. The way I understand it, you put this medicine on the Earth from the Beginning of Creation to help Human Beings. This medicine is used to purify our mind, body, soul, aura, and environment where I now stand. I therefore ask that you accept this medicine and purify me (or anyone else standing close to you as family and friends). I ask that you remove all bad spirits, all bad forces, all ghosts and deceased people, or any evil entities and negative energies. I ask that you remove all fear, pain, and sickness. And do not let them return."
10. Move in a counterclockwise direction around the room, using the feather to guide the smoke to the corners and throughout the room. Place the sage in the abalone shell on the tray after you have finished.
11. Grab your sound maker, and moving in a clockwise direction throughout the room, ring it 3 times in each corner of the room.
12. Place the Mason jar or bowl filled with salt, water, and Black Tourmaline in the center of the room or a place that is safe and where it will be undisturbed
13. Add your Selenite wands to each windowsill.
14. Take the entire tray into the next room and repeat steps 8 through 13, omitting the prayer.
15. Once all rooms have been cleared, go back to the front door and place the tray on the ground. At this point, all the Selenite should be placed on windowsills, and a jar with your water mixture should be in each room.
16. Light your Palo Santo and state out loud, "I'd like to bring harmony, happiness, blessings, and good health into my space." Walk clockwise around your room repeating what energies you'd like to fill the space with. Repeat this in every room of your home. Once you have finished, allow the Palo Santo to burn out on its own.
17. Allow the crystals and the jars to remain in the space for 24 hours.
18. After this time period, go through the rooms and collect all jars.
19. Take the Black Tourmaline out of each jar, rinse it with water, and place it outside in the light of the Sun and Moon for 48 hours to clear and recharge the crystals.
20. Pour all the salt and water down the toilet and flush. Clean the jars and wash your hands.
21. Repeat this ritual as often as needed.